Friday, May 27, 2011

Tall Ship on the Potomac

Tall Ship on the Potomac

I arrived yesterday at our humble crab shack on the Potomac river to begin a lengthened holiday weekend.  Shortly after arriving, I looked out through the haze to the yet cool waters of the Potomac to see a tall ship sailing under power toward the Chesapeake bay.

Tall Ship on the Potomac-1

With the haze and excessive humidity, I knew a nice sharp shot would be impossible.  Even had I been able to shoot the ship crisply, the haze coupled with the complete overcast left very little texture to add drama to the photo.  Given these limitations, I decided quickly to go with minimalist approach.  With a sky that amounted to a huge soft box, I decided to use this negative space to draw attention to the subject. 

I find the photos appealing because of the simplicity, the clarity of subject identification, composition (giving room in front of the ship for movement, and including only a slice of the water/horizon), and that the photo does not provide too much information (lots of room for viewer interpretation or questioning).  However, I will admit that I may be approaching or possibly falling over the minimalist precipice.  I would love to hear your thoughts.

Have fun, and go make some great photography.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment