Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Golden Gate Bridge–Black and White Part II

Golden Gate Bridge Black and White

Iconic subjects such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, are photographed daily by hundreds, if not thousands of people each day.  That might deter an experienced photographer – why bother?  Well, it did not deter me.  So what if everyone in the world has shot the Golden Gate on everything from a iPhone to a large format camera?  While not likely unique, these views of the Golden Gate are my interpretation, and I enjoyed the process.

Golden Gate Bridge Black and White-2

On the other hand, knowing that the Golden Gate Bridge has been shot to death, I knew I did not want to take a “normal” approach.  To achieve something at least somewhat unique, I decided to mimic a 6 x 6 medium format, black and white using a DSLR.  In other words, I composed the shot with the intention of cropping to a square format, and post processing as black and white.  To further mimic the medium format, all the photographs are three shot HDR.

Golden Gate Bridge Black and White-3

The last two photographs are very similar, but I liked them both for different reasons and decided to include them both for the simple reason of indecision.  I will let you be the judge.

Have fun and go make some great photography.

Craig

2 comments:

  1. Craig, the first shot is a favorite, though all three are spectacular! You have black and white down to Ansel-science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The intersecting shadows at the far end of the bridge create a really subtle sense of symmetry - very pleasant sensation indeed.
    All the chaos of the bridge deck is jsut swept away by the light and shadows.
    Will L.

    ReplyDelete