Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cherry Blossom Minimalism

Jefferson Focus

As much as I have been enjoying the exploration of minimalism in photography, it was clear I needed to apply this idea to the current series of posts featuring the Washington DC Cherry Blossoms.

Washington Focus-1

With these photographs, I have achieved the form of minimalism I was seeking.  Certainly the photographs give you enough information  to possibly identify the Jefferson memorial and the Washington Monument amidst the cherry blossoms.  But aaaah! The cherry blossoms!  These are even less distinct, and without the context or an accompanying narrative, it may be difficult for someone to identify the cherry blossoms or even the time of year.

Jefferson Focus-2

I’m ok with the indistinctive inclusion of the cherry blossoms.  I think the photographs still work from the perspective of engaging the imagination of the viewer.  As is the case with all of the intentionally unfocussed photography I have made, these were shot with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II.  Being close to the perspective our eye actually sees, this is a great lens for this form of photography.

Washington Focus-2

The cherry blossoms have now passed, but never fear – I have a few posts worth of photography left.

Jefferson Focus-3

Have fun and go make some great photography.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment