Monday, April 18, 2011

Bound for Life–Protestors at the Supreme Court

Bound for Life

In my last post I made note of the new lens I acquired just yesterday (Canon 24-70 f/2.8L).  This afternoon I decided to take a walk around Capitol Hill and enjoy some shooting with my new toy.  With all the flowers and trees in full spring bloom, my thoughts were on a relaxing stroll and some pretty pictures.  I was successful and promise to share some of these.  However, as I walked past the U.S. Capitol Building and the Supreme Court, my shooting took a big right turn.

Bound for Life-1

Not an uncommon occurrence in DC, the protestors were out in force at the Supreme Court.  But the term protestor does not fit well.  I’ve seen plenty of the boisterous protestors in DC and these do not fit that mold.  These were more along the line of folks hanging out showing their support or disapproval on some issue – not really protesting, just being there for the purpose of being present.

The photographs show the three issues at play today.  First is a group known as Bound for Life which is a right to life group that claims to have had a presence at the steps of the Supreme Court every day for the last seven years.  Their objective is overturning Rowe vs. Wade.

i4i Destroys Secretaries

The next two were individuals rather than a group.  First is the guy with the sign claiming that i4i destroys secretaries.  I’m guessing this is in reference to the case between Toronto based tech firm i4i and Microsoft set to be heard by the Supreme Court this year.  It is unclear to me how i4i destroys secretaries (do “secretaries” even exist anymore?), but there you have it in black and white.

The third in this small herd of “protestors” was a guy relaxing in a camp chair claiming that marriage is between a man and a woman, and only one of each.

One Man One Woman

I have opinions on the bookends, but don’t have a clue about i4i and the destruction of an apparently extinct species.  But this is a photography blog, and I will leave you to your own thoughts.  More on the rest of my stroll, some more shots of the Bound for Life folks, and my thoughts on the new lens will be forthcoming.

Have fun and go make some great photography!

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment