Saturday, July 3, 2010

U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill Team (color)

Coast Guard Silent Drill Team-3

This post wraps up my coverage of the retirement ceremony for Capt David Newton.  This post features some color photography of the U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill team (opposed to the black and white presented in my last post).

Coast Guard Silent Drill Team-4

As you are likely aware, I am biased toward black and white photography and have written frequently about my thoughts on this subject (if you enter “why black and white” in the search box at the top of the page, you will be rewarded with a number of prior posts describing my thoughts on choosing black and white over color photography).  However, sometimes color works…even for me.  In the case of the photographs in this post, I’m not sure the choice of color complies with my normal rules.  For these photographs I believe it may be a matter of psychology completely unrelated to photography.  There is not much important color in these photographs.  In other words, the color does not provide a notable level of new information that would not be present in the black and white photography – the color simply does not play an important role.  My theory in explaining my choice to maintain the color is that after spending 27 years in a Coast Guard uniform, I somehow had to save at least a few color photographs in reminiscence of my time in blue.

Coast Guard Silent Drill Team-13

I hope you have enjoyed this series of photographs from Captain David Newton’s retirement.  I had a great time shooting this event and look forward to similar opportunities.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment