Wednesday, June 30, 2010

U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill Team (B/W)

Coast Guard Silent Drill Team
This is my third of four posts of photographs taken at the retirement ceremony for Captain David Newton.  This post features a set of black and white photographs of the U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill Team.
Coast Guard Silent Drill Team-5
The final post will feature more of the U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill Team in color.  The real challenge of these photographs was the lighting.  The shots were taken outdoors in full midday sun – the least pleasing time of day with respect to lighting.  On the other hand, the bright lighting allowed me to use a high shutter speed and stop the motion of flying and twirling rifles.
Coast Guard Silent Drill Team-11
Another photographic point to make about these shots is preparation.  Although I am happy with the photography, I was not adequately prepared.  These shots were taken with my 70-200 f 2.8L which performed well – as this wonderful lens always does.  However, I would have preferred to get closer and use a wider lens such as the 24-105 f4.0L to get more interesting angles and perspectives.  Regrettably, I was distracted (probably at the bar already) and the activity started before I was able to think about the performance and change lenses.  The result was a series of shots “on plane” with no opportunity to explore angled perspectives in the vertical plane.  The lesson to take away is one of understanding the shots you want to get, and being prepared before the activity begins.
Coast Guard Silent Drill Team-2
A common theme that runs through this photography and the composition is the use of repeating patterns.  For more of my perspective and examples of using repeating patterns to add interest to photography, see my post “Repeating Patterns.”
Coast Guard Silent Drill Team-14
Leaning Rest
Have fun and go make some great photography.
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment