Monday, June 28, 2010

U.S. Coast Guard Honor Guard

Presentation of Colors
In my last post I presented some event photography from the retirement ceremony of a good friend (Event Photography – Retirement of Captain David Newton) and wrote a bit about my experiences with event photography.  In that post I promised to post some additional photos of the U.S. Coast Guard Honor Guard and the U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill Team.
Dave Newton Retirement
This post is the first of three sets of photographs I will post featuring the U.S. Coast Guard Honor Guard and the U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill Team.  This set of photographs features color shots of the U.S. Coast Guard Honor Guard.  As regular readers of the Craig Corl Photography blog will recall, I generally don’t like to mix black and white photography with color photography although I occasionally break this rule.  The pending posts will feature some of the black and white photography.
Presentation of Colors-1
The photograph above is another example of exposing for the highlights of the subject, allowing the bright background to blow out, increasing contrast and sharpening and also increasing the exposure to allow the background to blow out even further.  I discussed this process in greater detail in the last blog post - Event Photography – Retirement of Captain David Newton.  I intend on exploring this process further.  The question that comes to mind is “how far can I take this and still get good photographs?”
Dave Newton Retirement-1
Parade Rest-2
Staring out the window
Stand by for more of the U.S. Coast Guard Honor Guard and the U.S. Coast Guard Silent Drill Team.
Have fun and go make some great photography!
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment