Thursday, June 25, 2009

Repeating Patterns

Stairs at ADNOC
In a recent post, the subject matter was reflections.  I suggested we find reflection captured in photography appealing, for one reason, because it introduces an element of repeating patterns.  I don’t pretend to understand the brain’s hardwiring or psychology that leads to this affinity, but I know it is true.  Even mundane subjects such as golf carts, become interesting when they are aligned in a way to present a series of repeating patterns.
Golf Carts
The next shot is of the famous “Corncob” apartments in Chicago.  As I look at this shot, my eye first sees the shot as a whole.  My gaze then starts to wander and marvel at the symmetry and repeating corncob “holes” representing each of the apartments.  Then I become more curious and begin to explore what is going on in each of those locations – there is a great deal of detail to attract the eye.
Chicago Corn Cobs small
The next two shots come from Washington DC and include Arlington National Cemetery (actually in Arlington Virginia) and the Washington Monument.  For those of you looking for some shots with repeating patterns, Arlington National Cemetery has a nearly infinite number of ways to compose photographs with repeating patterns that extend to the horizon.  I am particularly fond of shooting at Arlington in the winter – and in black and white; the starkness adds to the solemn nature of this revered location.
Flag Ring at Washington Monument
DCF 1.0
The next two shots both come from Innsbruck Austria and represent two very different forms of repeating patterns.  The first shot of church pews is similar to Arlington National Cemetery in that it is not only a set of repeating patterns, but also takes advantage of another photographic technique – leading lines – that I wrote about in a previous post.  The second shot uses repeating patterns to bring interest to the composition, but does not use leading lines to guide the observer through the photograph.
Innsbruck Church Pews
Innsbruck Crosses
The next shot comes from the Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Mosque in Abu Dhabi, UAE. 
Columns
Finally, I will leave you with a preview of yet another future blog – Machu Pichu, Peru.
Machu Pichu - 34
I hope you enjoyed this post.  I also hope you get outside, take some shots, and look for repeating patterns to add interest to your photography.
All the best,
Craig

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm here by way of Dawn. She sent me to see your awesome work! I'm new at photography and have a lot to learn. I wish I didn't have to do anything else. It's just that interesting to me. I can't get enough. I'll be back and I'll be looking for repeating patterns.

    ReplyDelete