Monday, June 13, 2011

Diptych of Chairs on the Beach

Chairs on the Beach diptych

Diptychs are one of the aspects of photography I am particularly drawn to.  If you are not familiar with diptychs, they are pairs of photographs that have some relationship to each other whether a matter of continuity, contrast, similarity or otherwise compliment each other in some interesting manner.  I have posted several diptychs previously which can be found by typing “diptych” in the handy search bar at the top of the page.

The diptych featured here is composed of two photographs I shot while walking along the Potomac River in Southern Maryland.  Although the shots were taken at different points along the beach and separated in time by several minutes, I believe the composition works due to the continuity of the subject as well as the beach, horizon and cloud configuration.  I am also drawn to the minimalist composition of this pair which leaves your mind to wander.

I did not plan this diptych, but when processing the photos, it was clear they belonged together.  Just another one of the happy coincidences that I love about photography.

Have fun, and go make some great photography.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment