Friday, February 11, 2011

Three Eggs Over Minimalism

Three Eggs

I am on a bit of a minimalist roll lately and decided not to fight it.  Yesterday I was walking through my living room and saw this wonderful light coming in through the window.  I’m not sure how the mind works and makes a connection between natural light through a window and eggs, but it did.

Three Eggs-1

I’m guessing that my mind was already in minimalist mode – and what could be more minimalist than white eggs on a white background?  The beautiful thing about white on white is that it is the perfect archetype for a common saying amongst photographers – “it’s all about the light.”  With white on white, the light is the star of the show.  You are presented with light and shadow – nothing else.

Three Eggs-2

The setup for these shots could not have been more simple.  I rolled a cart in front of the window, placed the eggs on a piece of standard copier paper with a book propping the back side of the paper to form a continuous ground and background piece, and attached my 70-200 f/2.8L.  The shots were taken at ISO 100, f/2.8 and a shutter speed in the area of 1/2500.

Three Eggs-3

So the next time you are bored, or want to play around with light as a single element, go photograph some eggs.  The simple light and shadows can be remarkably beautiful.

Finally, I wish to invite all of you to visit my new blog – Craig’s Grape Adventure – featuring discussions of food and wine pairings along with food photography.  I think you will find it both fun and useful.

Have fun, and go make some great photography.

Craig

1 comment:

  1. I love this... when I get settled in my new place I'll have to order this from you and get it on a canvas wrap in my new kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete