Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Stand by for the Launch of a New Blog

Deerfield winery caves

For those of you who have been keeping up with my latest posts, you know that I recently returned from a trip to California.  My wife and I spent a good part of our visit in Sonoma and Napa Valleys enjoying the spectacular wine, exquisite food, and stunning scenery.  One of the highlights of the trip was a visit to the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone.  We participated in a cooking class that featured nine Greek dishes…and of course we were rewarded with the fruits of our labor.

Hills at Deerfield Winery

After the class, we visited the campus store where I found a brilliant spark of inspiration: A book titled “Decanting Napa Valley; The Cookbook.”  As I began to thumb through the book, I became more and more excited.  It features 100 Napa Valley wines each paired with a recipe created expressly for that wine by the best chefs in Napa Valley.

Vines in the Fog

My first thought was “Wow!  I have 100 phenomenal meals to look forward to!”  Later, I had another thought (actually prompted by my daughter) “why not write about it and blend the experience with photography?”  I am very excited about combining two of my passions.  If I could only find a way to add in golf and top it all off with a good cigar and glass of Port – food, wine, golf, photography and a cigar.  It may be possible!

Vineyard Horses

So the bottom line is that I will soon be launching another blog focusing on pairing wine and food.  The new cookbook I bought at CIA Greystone will certainly take center stage (at least for the time it takes me to cook 100 meals and try 100 wines – these wines are generally not inexpensive, so I will not be racing through 100 recipes in 100 days), but I do not intend this to be a rip-off of Julie and Julia.  The cookbook is simply a convenient vehicle for getting started.  I will be writing about the “why’s” of pairing wine with food, discussing recipes and pairings we have encountered or devised, and sharing recipes/pairings you may want to try.

So now I have a favor to ask.  I need some help with devising a name for the blog.  I would be grateful if you would send any suggestions (craig.a.corl@gmail.com), or leave a comment with your suggestion.  I hope you are as excited as I am.  When the new blog goes live, I will let you know.

Have fun, and go make some great photography!

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment