Saturday, September 19, 2009

Patuxent Naval Air Museum – Extreme HDR

Lockheed Martin X-35C PNAM
You may have been following my recent adventures in exploring High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography.  This post is a continuation of that theme.  As promised, I am posting the good, the bad and the ugly.
Boeing X-32B PNAM
This group of shots certainly fall in the category of pushing HDR to the extreme.  I will let you be the judge of good, bad or ugly.
NA-7A Corsair II PNAM
I shared these photographs with several friends and received two classes of responses; 1) Wow…very cool…they don’t look real, and 2)  Wow…how did you do that?  I’m guessing the second response was a less positive one.
NA - 6E Intruder PNAM
My personal assessment is that the photographs are visually interesting and draw you in to examine the details.  They are not shots that will find a place on my walls, but they are fun to explore.
RA-5C Vigilante PNAM
As I mentioned in my preface to exploring HDR, my intent was to explore the mild to the wild.  These shots clearly fall on the wild end of the spectrum.
S-3 PNAM
The real value of pressing the envelope of the possible, is that I am progressively bracketing (both a photographic and military artillery term) the target.  I would guess that within the next month, I will be in a position to publish a solid list of my rules of thumb for using HDR photography.
NFA-18a Hornet Tail PNAM
As with everything else I publish in this blog, my rules of thumb for using HDR photography will be exactly that…MINE.  I share such things as a starting point, or point of comparison for you to consider; and to develop your own if you choose to do so.
NFA-18a Hornet PNAM
Have fun, and go make some great photography.
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment