Monday, October 10, 2011

Snapping Turtle

Giant Snapping Turtule

While sitting in the garage, smoking a cigar and watching football, my wife got my attention and said I had to come see the turtle.  Turtle?  Not thinking much of taking a look at a turtle, I reluctantly complied with my wife’s excitement.  Turtles are pretty common around our home on the Potomac River, but this one was definitely out of the ordinary.

Mr. Turtle was huge by comparison to our normal shelled visitors.  The photo does not do justice in providing a sense of scale.  Only the grass gives a slight sense of size.  However, think of this for a sense of scale – the head was the size of a softball.  Tail included, this turtle was nearly three feet long.  Not wanting to risk the chance of Mr. turtle sprinting at my camera and taking a bite, I shot at a safe distance of about 2 feet.

Have fun and go make some great photography.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment