Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas in Washington DC–US Capitol at Night

Moon over Capitol Christmas Tree-1

Continuing the Christmas in Washington DC series, here are some night photographs of the US Capitol and the Capitol Christmas tree.  I have to admit there was some challenge in getting these shots.  Exposure control at night is an continuing challenge.  But even more challenging was the wind. 

 

Capitol Christmas Tree at Night

When I took these shots, the wind was blowing at 15+ knots which made keeping the camera steady during 2 to 5 second exposures a bit difficult.  The fact that it was about 30 degrees F did not add to my patience when coupled with the wind.

 

Capitol Christmas tree Reflection

While enduring the cold, I also took some shots of the National Christmas tree in front of the White House.  These shots were even more difficult for reasons I will explain in an upcoming post.

The colors from the Christmas tree and the reflections off the frozen reflecting pool are key features to these photographs.  However, I am including the following black and white photograph.  Even though the colors are important to the photograph, I think this black and white shows an interesting perspective.

Capitol Christmas Tree at Night BW

 

We are quickly closing in on Christmas, so I have just a couple more posts to round out this series on Christmas in Washington DC.  I hope you are enjoying.

Have fun, and go make some great photography.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment