Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Using Textures to Salvage Photography

Amman Texturized

The other day, I was processing some photos and came across the two photos featured in this post.  Both shots were taken from my hotel room in Amman Jordan.  Shooting through a window is not always a successful endeavor  - reflection, refraction, and dirt are among the things you have to deal with.  These photos were no exception.

Just as I was about to give up on using the photos, I decided to experiment with apply some textures that made the technical flaws merge into the final product.  On one hand, you could say I masked the flaws, but equally true would be the statement that they inspired me and I built upon them.  I don’t really care which perspective is taken – I am pleased with the results, particularly the first of the two.

Amman in Stone

Here is the process:

  1. Import your photo into Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements)
  2. Copy another image into a layer that is stacked above the original shot (in the two photos here, I used a water/beach image and a stone image respectively)
  3. Set the “texture” or top layer to “overlay”
  4. Adjust the opacity of the texture layer until you get the look you want
  5. Continue with color/contrast/crop/sharpening corrections (I did so after send the composite image back to Lightroom)

Although pleased with these results, I doubt that I will make this process routine in my approach.  On the other hand, when I run across compositions I find attractive yet flawed in some way I cannot reasonably remedy, I have no doubt I will apply this technique again.  One thing is for certain, I will now be collecting images to use as textures.

Have fun, and go make some great photography.

Craig

1 comment:

  1. Flickr has some great textures that people are willing to share.

    ReplyDelete