Saturday, April 17, 2010

Photography Meditation

Running Shadow
Just last night I was reading a book when suddenly I realized I had no clue what I was reading.  I tried to remember what had occurred over the past few pages and drew a complete blank.  I knew I was looking at the words, but it seemed as though the words were making it through the optic nerve to some place in the brain where they were immediately rejected.
Bench in the Woods
After a moment of reflecting, I quickly concluded that although I was “reading” the book, I was thinking about something completely different and unrelated.  We have all had such experiences.  Have you ever missed your exit off the highway because you were mentally constructing a work list, anticipating the days events or wondering why a Twinkie has 28 ingredients with many ending in “-ides” and “-ates?”
Texaco - Abu Dhabi
So what does all this have to do with photography?  My photography relevant conclusion from the episode of thinking I was reading a book is simple; without stilling the mind and minimizing distractions, we are less available to studying and appreciating photography (or any other art form).
Memorial Day Southern Maryland - 1
For today, I will modify my routine closing and say…
Have fun, relax, and go enjoy some art.
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment