Monday, July 25, 2011

Washington Nationals Park During Construction

Players Parking Lot Quick

Although I live in Washington DC, just a over a mile from Nationals Park, I have to admit to not being a baseball fan.  It is not that I don’t have affection for the home team, but I simply don’t have the patience for baseball.  For me, baseball is somewhat like the NBA and NHL that suffer from too many games in a season for anything less than fully dedicated fans to get their heads around.  I generally reengage with these sports when playoff time comes – when every game is significant.  The idea of every game being important is what makes the NFL more appealing to me.  With fewer games in the NFL (and all college sports), each game takes on greater significance.

Right Field quick

However, my views on baseball and other sports are not the subject of this post.  The purpose is to share some photography of Nationals Park during construction.  Nationals Park opened in 2008.  These photographs are all stitched panoramas taken during the late spring of 2007.

Right Field Upper Deck Quick

I have not shared these photographs previously because they do not show well in this format.  But being the middle of baseball season, I decided to go ahead and share these with my baseball loving friends.  From a photographic perspective, there are two characteristics of these photographs of note.  First, the photographs are composed of 5 to 7 individual photographs stitched together to form a single panoramic photograph.  Second, my choice to process the photos as black and white.

Scoreboard quick

I chose black and white because it enhances the industrial feel of the composition, and because most of the color information in the photos came from construction and safety equipment.  Neither of these components added anything to the composition.

At the writing of this post, the Washington Nationals are in next to last place in the National League East with a record of 49 wins and 52 losses.  Lets hope they improve their season before the playoffs come, and I tune back in to baseball.

Have fun, and go make some great photography.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment