Monday, September 12, 2011

Blue Angels at Naval Air Station Patuxent River Air Expo 2011

Blue Angels-37

Photographing an air show is nothing but fun.  Shooting it on my farther-in-law's boat at the end of the runway with a cigar and glass of wine is even better!  This is my second installment from the Naval Air Station Patuxent River and features some photography of the Navy’s Blue Angels performance.  I had intended to save this for the last in a series of posts, but found I could wait no longer.

Blue Angels-35

I did not fact check the story, but I was told the Blue Angels fly essentially “stock” F-18s that have exceeded the number of allowable carrier landings.  In other words, carrier capable aircraft have a limit to the number of landings they can perform.  Upon reaching this limit they are retired from carrier duty for what I would guess is structural safety concerns.  Makes sense.  However, what makes less sense is that once they have seen the end of their useful carrier service, they are turned over to the Blue Angels.

Blue Angels-12

I don’t know about you, but if I were pulling the maneuvers these highly skilled jet jockeys were making, I would not be excited about flying a “leftover.”  Regardless of the planes they are flying, the Blue Angels put on a great show.  Here are a few more shots of their performance.

Blue Angels-14

Blue Angels-36

Blue Angels-22

Blue Angels-34

Blue Angels-25

Blue Angels-15

Blue Angels-33

Blue Angels-9

Blue Angels-31

Blue Angels-38

Have fun, and go make some great photography.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment